Becoming an exchange student pt.2

Thought I might write an update about where I stand now in my process of becoming an exchange student.

In short words: I've been accepted into Université Laval, to go study in La Belle Province (Québec) and as a temporary resident of Canada. So. YAY!
One morning after a whole lot partying in Reykjavik City (which is a whole other story) I came home to find an email in my inbox from Citizenship & Immigration Canada.
"This is an automated message. Please DO NOT RESPOND to this message" 

So I didn't. But I was really happy and my hangover just disappeared - even though I had only slept for about 2 full hours on a friends sofa. After leaving a half eaten sandwich on the sofa edge.
Actually I only took one bite.
But it was a good one.

I think.

So, since these things have happened I've not had any crazy adventures regarding my exchange. I did find out though that I need to send Icelandair proof of my peanut allergy for them to put a note on my booking. Luckily I have a "prescription" from a doctor saying


I'm "above mentioned Miriam".

I think it's quite funny. So, no peanuts on Icelandair flight FI615 to New York. Booyah.
#I'vegotthepower #kickyouinthenutspeanuts

Last but not least, I was going to tell the lovely story of the International Office lady who doesn't know her geography.
It was actually quite funny, but frustrating at the time.

I started by sending an email to the international office at the University of Iceland asking this:

(in short words)

Hello,
I want to apply to go as an exchange student outside of Europe but not to an English-speaking place but to a French-speaking place (Québec). Should my motivation letter still be in English or should I write it in French? Is it for you to read or the University I'm applying to. I've taken a DELF exam (french proficiency test) but I might not receive the results until after the application deadline, 16th of January, is that ok?

Miriam Petra

The lovely, oh so short and smart reply I got was this:

Hey there,

The motivation letter should be in English. If you are applying for France the deadline is the 1st of March, the 16th of January is only for those who wish to apply outside of Europe. 

Regards, 
-insert person- 



What the fuck did I just write to begin with? The first line of my email said "outside of Europe".
My reply to that was long and a bit rude and after that I got forwarded to someone who seems to know more than this person.
Anyway, was a good example of hitting walls when trying to get answers from people who are supposed to answer questions like that for a living.

My suspicion tells me that they draw pictures of ponies all day long. 

Office lady 1: Hey do you know where Québec is?
Office lady 2: Sounds french. Should I color her wings blue?
 Office lady 1: Oooh! That's a nice pony! Wait I'll just send this email without reading it
so I can help you color it.

Anyway.
I'm out for the night.  

Comments

Popular Posts